DeepSkyStacker for Mac (High Sierra) – update

Deep Sky Stacker is a great tool for stacking light, dark, flat and bias astrophotography frames.

See the link: http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html

This software is free but only exists on Windows. I’m a Mac user so is it somehow possible to run a windows app on a Mac?

I recently came across a solution on this website: http://starchaser.de/deepskystacker-fuer-mac-osx/

This people simply ported the windows app with wine (a tool for running windows software on linux and other unix-like operating systems) – thank you for that!

The version from Starchaser stopped working for me on High Sierra so I decided to make my own version.

I searched the forums for the specific beta version 3.3.6 that the people at starchaser used. Downloaded it an played around with WineBottler (wine based tool for converting windows software to a mac .app) and finally it worked on High Sierra.

Here is the result:

Use this if you don’t have Wine.app installed on your mac:

Use this if you have Wine.app installed on your mac:

Make shure that you check the settings every time you start DeepSkyStacker. Some settings stay as you left them others don’t. So just double check before you start stacking. DeepSkyStacker should choose the language automatically based on your settings in macOS. If this does not work, please let me know in the comments.

clear skies

Posted on 23. November 2017 in Astronomy

Share the Story

About the Author

Responses (7)

1. Miro
    14. Januar 2018 at 5:25 · Antworten

Hi,

I tried your version but it doesn’t open on High Sierra 10.13.2 🙁
    Could you update it?

• eugen
      5. April 2018 at 12:02 · Antworten

Hi and sorry for the late respond.
      Check the updated article.
      Please try the version with wine included. (If you don’t have Wine.app installed on your mac.

😉
      Eugen

2. Doug Ingram
    5. April 2018 at 2:36 · Antworten

Hello and thank you for making this software for Mac. I have downloaded and unzipped the file but when I double-click on the Deep Sky Stacker 3.3.6 and authorise it to run nothing happens. Can you suggest any help for this?

• eugen
      5. April 2018 at 11:46 · Antworten

Hi Doug, i checked the file again and i is still working for me with macOS 10.13.4. But i realized you need to have Wine.app installed in your mac. I didn’t mentioned that before, sorry for that.

I created a new version of DeepSkyStacker with Wine.app included. So you don’t have to install it.
      Please check the updated article above and tell me if it is working for you.

😉

Eugen

3. Michael
    24. April 2018 at 11:59 · Antworten

Hi, your updated Link works. I can download, install and open DeepSkyStacker on my Mac with High Sierra. But the problem is, that if i select some files to import as Lightframes (or Darkframes), the import does not start.
    Do you know how to fix this problem?

• Eugen
      4. Juni 2018 at 23:42 · Antworten

Hi Michael, i have tested this version one again. Everything works on my mac. What type of frames are you trying to import (RAW, JPEG, TIFF)? What camera are you using?

4. Name (required) astroviper
    21. September 2018 at 3:18 · Antworten

Hi. I’m trying to run this on Mac high Sierra. It will never stack the correct number of frames. When I click ‘register settings’ to change the percentage of good frames to stack, it just crashes the whole programme and doesn’t even bring the register settings dialogue box up.
    Any ideas??